09 May 2009

EVE Blog Banter #7: Never been a pirate Quin

I hope you guys do not mind that I am late to the party... about a week late or so? Anyway, welcome to the seventh installment of the EVE Blog Banter , the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux . The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed here . Check out other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!

This month’s topic comes to us from CrazyKinux, and he asks: “What 3 things haven’t you done in EVE and why? Would you be willing to try one day? Why so? Why not?”




Well, I have been flying for two years and a half now and still have the feeling that I am ankle-deep into the sea of possibilities out there. I have done quite a bit, running missions, running courier, running around and running away. All the stuff with the racing league, organization and PR. People stuff. Scouting, scanning, some research and invention for going faster. Gone to 0.0 to work for them dodgy people. Went to a wormhole, once. Blogging ;) I have flown with wonderful people from several corps and had the best times with them.

And there is still so much I have not done...


Number 1: Joining a corp. I have been with my corp, Uni of Caille, for two years and a half. Why? I have always been afraid that I will not have enough time to commit myself to corp operations and stuff, so if I joined anything else I would end up being kicked out anyway. (Mind you, sometimes I do not even have time to blog, but I don't think anyone will kick me out of here :P) So I have made very good friends instead and I fly with them when I can. Money comes on its own, from the market.

I guess I have ignored corps until now but, you know, I think it has been long enough. So I finally decided to join six-year old Dragonstar corp about two weeks ago, right before vacation. Now that I am back, I find that my new corp is tearing itself apart in recriminations and stuff; I did not even have time to fly with any of them. Guess this goes back in the list: join a functional corp. First thing on my list.


Number 2: Be a spy. This seems to be quite frequent out there... people that join a corp just to betray it, or actually turn into one once inside or something like that. I have been often been accused of being a spy myself -still feeling quite insulted about that time I was invited, then not allowed to scout for that FDU fleet once, losers- but I guess it comes with being in a student corp such as UC, for years. Do I really look like an alt to you? But anyway, I think it is a question of character and of trust. Spying, it would be like throwing out the window everything I am, everything I have become since I started flying... so being a spy is one thing I will not be trying. Which, I guess, makes me sort of the ideal person to turn into a spy. Awww...

I'll say #2 never, but it's up to you to believe me ;)


Number 3: Shooting someone. I am beginning to suspect that I have been playing a different game. This is my third year flying and, well, other than rats and belt rabble, I do not think I have ever blown anyone's ship up. Not even in self-defense -I would have but it was over in like, two seconds. I have shot at people at practice, I have attended shootout contests... I have been podded by gatecamps. But I have never had the need to go all the way and, ah, help someone out of their ship. Or their pod.

I guess I do not believe in violence.

Same goes for the shooting-related professions like pirate of mercenary. I guess that people live off killing other people have their reasons. I don't. Yet. I mean, nothing in my mind, my story or background makes me lean towards living from piracy, or off shooting people. Who knows? Sometimes I do feel as I have painted myself into a corner.

But it's my corner...

So #3 is a maybe. Definitely. And it's going to be unbelievable.





- CrazyKinux's Musing, Eh, nobody told me you could do this in EVE!
- One Man and His Spaceship, Expanding My Horizons
- I am Keith Neilson, What do you want to do today?
- Rifter Drifter, Trinity
- Roc's Ramblings, The me I am not
- Morphisat's Blog, Treading waters unknown
- Sweet Little Bad Girl, Roads Not Followed
- A Mule in EvE, DD, defend against a gank & POS gunning
- Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah, Choices
- The Wandering Druid of Tranquility, One, Two, Three...three things....hahahahaha
- The Ralpha Dogs, Road Not Taken... Or Not
- Melindhra's Universe, Where no one has gone before
- Life in Low Sec, Possibilities
- EVE Guru, EVE Blog Banter 7
- Diary of a Pod Pilot, Stones left unturned
- Flashfresh - The Pirate, This isn't me...
- Nefchast's Gaming Blog, CrazyKinux's EVE Blog Banter #7
- A Merry Life and a Short One, Syphilis Doesn't Count
- Rip Lacunae, Past & Future

3 comments:

  1. Personally I reckon you're missing out by not joining a corporation. If you know the kind of thing your looking for and make sure you find the right bunch of people then its so much better. I've definitely loved both the corps I've been in my last year and I chat regularly to members, past and present, of both.

    But then, like you say, Eve's huge universe and it is your corner. As long as you're enjoying it then who can critisize?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should join me over at Phoenix Labs and fly as my wing mate as a covert ops pilot, which I'm currently training for!

    CraqzyKinux

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darn, can't even spell my name right! :(

    ReplyDelete